What is Iowa N.E.W. Leadership?
Iowa N.E.W. Leadership is an intensive 5-day residential institute designed to empower women across the political spectrum and increase the participation of underrepresented groups in all sectors of public leadership. The Institute experience is built around a challenging curriculum that develops knowledge and skill in key areas, including: strategic communication, policy analysis, philanthropy, negotiation, community development, professional sustainability, relationship-building, productive engagement with difference, conflict and collaboration.
Developed by the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University in 1991, the NEW Leadership ™ network currently includes 23 colleges and universities serving women nationwide.
The University of Iowa joined in 2008 and will hold its eighth Summer Institute May 18 – 22, 2015.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Any student who identifies as a woman who is:
- Enrolled in ANY post-secondary academic institution in Iowa, at least half-time
- Iowa residents
- All fields of study in any academic discipline
- Students graduating in December 2014 and May 2015 are still eligible to apply
- Women from diverse backgrounds, identities and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply