Scholarships and Awards
WRAC administers or helps to administer a number of scholarships and awards on campus, including the Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award and the Margaret C. Benson Scholarship.
The Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award
Nomination Deadline Extended Until: January 25, 2017
The Women’s Resource & Action Center and the Council on the Status of Women are accepting nominations for the 2017 Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award. The award, given annually by the Council on the Status of Women and the Women’s Resource and Action Center, honors a faculty, staff, or student member of the University community who has demonstrated outstanding effort or achievement in improving the status of women at the University. The award will be granted at the Annual Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women on April 5, 2017, at 3:30 pm in the 2nd Floor Ballroom of the Iowa Memorial Union.
Some of the previous Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award Recipients include:
Susan Buckley, Pre-Vocational Training
Rusty Barceló, Office of the Provost
Nancy Hauserman, Management & Organizations
Clara Oleson, UI Labor Center
Yvonne “Bonnie” Slatton, Sport, Health, Leisure and Physical Studies
Christine H. B. Grant, Women’s Athletics
Susan R. Johnson, College of Medicine
Jean Martin, Motor Vehicle Maintenance Service
Susan Beckett, Engineering Computer Network
Pat Cain, College of Law
Chris Brus, WISE
Rachel Williams, Teaching and Learning (Education) and Art Education
Jennifer Glass, Professor of Sociology
Karla Miller, Rape Victim Advocacy Program
Candidates should have a strong record of support for women’s rights in a broad sense, a commitment to women’s rights at The University of Iowa, and one or more of the following related to women’s rights:
• Particular contributions to The University of Iowa
• Long-standing record of leadership, effort, and activism.
• Accomplishments with national scope or impact
Deadline Extended: January 25, 2017
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship
Nomination Deadline: February 1, 2017
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship recognizes qualified female applicants who demonstrate financial need and are committed to women’s issues, diversity, and social activism.
One or two awards are available each year. Awards generally range from $1000 to $2000 per academic year to be applied toward tuition, fees, living expenses, or books. The scholarship is for the 2017-18 academic year.
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship is administered and selected by individuals affiliated with the Women’s Resource and Action Center at the University of Iowa. The Center’s mission is to create greater equity for individuals and communities of all identities, with a particular focus on women.
1. Women who have completed one year (or more) of undergraduate or graduate/professional study at the University of Iowa or at an accredited degree granting institution or program and have been accepted into a degree-granting program at the University of Iowa for the upcoming academic year.
2. Women who demonstrate financial need.
3. Women who are committed to women’s issues, diversity, and social activism.
1. Scholarships are awarded for one academic year only. Re-application is required for each academic year for which financial assistance is sought. No preference will be given to those individuals seeking a second or third year of support.
2. If a scholarship recipient does not attend school or drops out while the award is in effect, funds must be returned commensurate with the amount of the academic year remaining.
1. Complete and submit the application form.
2. Submit college transcript(s). (official or unofficial)
3. Submit 2 letters of reference.
4. Demonstrate financial need on the FAFSA for the current academic year by submitting a copy of the financial aid award letter AND/OR provide a ONE-page description of any personal or financial circumstances warranting consideration by the selection committee
5. NOTE: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all materials (including transcripts and letters of reference) are received at WRAC by the application deadline.
Submit Application to:
Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship Committee
Women’s Resource and Action Center
Iowa City, IA 52242
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
2016-2017 GENDER, WOMEN’S & SEXUALITY STUDIES SCHOLARSHIPS
Adele Kimm Scholarship
Eligibility for this scholarship rotates each year between undergraduate students and graduate students and is disbursed during the following year.
- 2016–2017: awarded to a graduate student. (Use link below to apply)
- 2017–2018: awarded to an undergraduate student. (Use Scholarship Portal to apply)
- One scholarship will be awarded.
- Must be involved in the Gender, Women's and Sexuality Studies Department through coursework or service.
- Must have a strong academic record.
- Must be enrolled in a College of Liberal Arts & Sciences degree granting program.
- Must be enrolled as a part-time or full-time student in Fall 2015 and Spring 2016.
- Must continue as a part-time or full-time student in 2016-2017.
- This scholarship is not automatically renewable. If the current award recipient continues to meet eligibility criteria, she or he must submit a new application each year to be considered for this award.
- February 1, 2016.
- Application available online beginning November 30, 2015. Scholarship winners will be announced by early March 2016.
For further information, contact Laura Kastens, (319) 335-0322.