Much of the liveliness and community of WRAC comes from our support, discussion, and enrichment groups. All groups are led by trained facilitators, most of whom are student and community volunteers with interests and skills they want to share.
Group participation is free unless otherwise stated (such as for purchase of supplies needed for group activities), though we do request participants’ help to defray WRAC’s costs with donations of $10 for the total duration of each group, if they can.
Individual counseling services are available at WRAC. Counseling is provided by doctoral students who are doing their practicum at WRAC as part of their PhD program in Counseling Psychology.
If you need counseling services, please call us or fill out the form to make arrangements for a consultation. You will be asked for some basic information, including how the counselor can contact you directly to set up your initial appointment. All information you provide will be kept confidential.
If you are a student and/or community member facing serious financial hardship, please contact the Johnson County Crisis Center. The Crisis Center may be able to help, especially with food and clothing.
Can’t find what you need? Call the Center at 335-1486, and ask about referrals to UI, community, or state resources that might be available to you.
The Sojourner Truth Library is open with many new titles.
- Personal finance, budgeting, bankruptcy.
- Women’s health, self-care, healing from abuse, Anorexia, Bulimia, compulsive eating, societal messages to women, self-image, and more.
- Gender studies, LBGT studies, coming out, LBGT relationships, sex, marriage, parenting.
- Feminism theory, political essays, abortion.
- Domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, rape, alcoholism, drug addiction.
- Single parenting, adoption.
- Poetry, short stories, novels.
The library is open to the public for browsing and borrowing, and is located in the Reception Area as you enter the house. Whenever WRAC is open, the library’s open. Come in, browse, read, or check out books.