2014-15 GENDER, WOMEN’S & SEXUALITY STUDIES SCHOLARSHIPS
For all awards send completed application and supporting materials electronically to email@example.com by
February 6, 2015 Extended: February 13, 2015
FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
ADELE KIMM SCHOLARSHIP
The Adele Kimm Scholarship is made possible by a bequest of Adele Kimm in honor of her brother, S. Conrad Kimm and her sister-in-law Hilda Kimm.
The 2015-16 Adele Kimm Scholarship will be awarded to an undergraduate student involved in the Gender, Women’s & Sexuality Studies Department through coursework or service. One award of $1000 will be given. Please note this award will be dispersed during the next academic year (2015-16), and the recipient must be registered as either a part- or full-time student during both semesters. Visit the CLAS website http://clas.uiowa.edu/students/scholarships/kimm/ for an application and complete eligibility instructions.
FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
ADAH JOHNSON/OTILIA MARIA FERNANDEZ SCHOLARSHIP
In honor of Adah Johnson, one of the first black women students to graduate from The University of Iowa (1912) and Otilia Maria Fernandez, one of the first Hispanic woman graduates (1924), Gender, Women’s & Sexuality Studies has established an annual scholarship of $2000 for a woman student of color who has taken courses in the Gender, Women’s & Sexuality Studies Department or whose academic interests include some aspect of women’s culture or experience.
The 2015 Johnson/Fernandez Scholarship will be awarded to a graduate student. One award of $2000 will be given. The award will be presented on the basis of academic performance and commitment to issues relevant to women of color.
APPLICATION MATERIALS SHOULD INCLUDE:
- Application form (found at http://clas.uiowa.edu/gwss/undergraduate-program/scholarships);
- A one-page statement describing your academic or career goals, and some ways in which these reflect a concern for women’s lives;
- Two letters of recommendation; and
- Transcripts of all graduate work.
JANE A. WEISS MEMORIAL DISSERTATION SCHOLARSHIP
A $4000 scholarship will be awarded to a University of Iowa Ph.D. candidate whose dissertation focuses on issues pertaining to women. Graduate students from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:
- Applicant must be a currently registered PhD. Candidate;
- Dissertation proposal must be accepted by the candidate’s department by February 6, 2015;
- Applicant must have a demonstrated commitment to women’s issues through activities in the University or larger community; and
- Dissertation promises to make contributions to understanding of women’s issues and to feminist scholarship.
APPLICATION MATERIALS (AVAILABLE AT http://clas.uiowa.edu/gwss/undergraduate-program/scholarships):
- Application Form
- An application letter specifically addressing the selection criteria listed above. Provide information explaining the activist or community-based work you have done, including information about activist groups or organizations with which you have worked.
- A four- to five-page (double-spaced) summary of your dissertation in terms intelligible to readers not in your discipline.
- Two letters of reference. One letter must be from a faculty member acquainted with your dissertation. The second letter should be from a person acquainted with your activism on behalf of women’s issues.
- Transcripts of graduate work
- Curriculum vita
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If you are a student and/or community member facing serious financial hardship, please contact the Johnson County Crisis Center. The Crisis Center may be able to help, especially with food and clothing.
Can’t find what you need? Call the Center at 335-1486, and ask about referrals to UI, community, or state resources that might be available to you.