Iowa N.E.W. Leadership is an intensive 5-day residential institute designed to empower women across the political spectrum and increase the participation of underrepresented groups in all sectors of public leadership. The Institute experience is built around a challenging curriculum that develops knowledge and skill in key areas, including: strategic communication, policy analysis, philanthropy, negotiation, community development, professional sustainability, relationship-building, productive engagement with difference, conflict and collaboration.
Developed by the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University in 1991, the NEW Leadership ™ network currently includes 23 colleges and universities serving women nationwide.
The University of Iowa joined in 2008 and will hold its next Summer Institute May 19 – 24, 2019.
Who is Eligible?
- Any student who identifies as a woman
Applicants must be enrolled at least half-time in ANY post-secondary academic institution in Iowa (regardless of state or nation of residence), or in another state (for Iowa residents)
- All fields of study in any academic discipline
- Students graduating in December 2018 and May 2019 are still eligible to apply
- Women from diverse backgrounds, identities and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply
What does it cost?
- There is no cost to the participant
- We do ask for a $50 housing deposit upon acceptance to the program. This will be refunded at the end of the week. Any checks written for this purpose will not be cashed unless the participant fails to participate for any non-emergency reason.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Contact us: email@example.com
Iowa NEW Leadership - FAQs
What are the dates and times participants must commit to for the 2019 Institute?