Scholarships and Awards
WRAC administers or helps to administer a number of scholarships and awards on campus, including the Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award and the Margaret C. Benson Scholarship.
The Jean Y. Jew Women’s Rights Award
Please submit nominations to Laurie Haag, WRAC or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 21, 2020
The Women's Resource & Action Center and the Council on the Status of Women are accepting nominations for the 2020 Jean Y. Jew Women's Rights Award. The award, given annually by the Council on the Status of Women and the Women's Resource and Action Center, honors a faculty, staff, or student member of the University community who has demonstrated outstanding effort or achievement in improving the status of women at the University. The award will be granted at the Annual Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women on April 8, 2020, at 3:00 pm in the Iowa Memorial Union Second Floor Ballroom.
Some of the previous Jean Y. Jew Women's Rights Award Recipients include:
Susan Buckley, Pre-Vocational Training
Rusty Barceló, Office of the Provost
Nancy Hauserman, Management & Organizations
Clara Oleson, UI Labor Center
Yvonne "Bonnie" Slatton, Sport, Health, Leisure and Physical Studies
Christine H. B. Grant, Women's Athletics
Susan R. Johnson, College of Medicine
Jean Martin, Motor Vehicle Maintenance Service
Susan Beckett, Engineering Computer Network
Pat Cain, College of Law
Chris Brus, WISE
Rachel Zuckerman, UISG
Susan Birrell, GWSS
Susan Junis, RVAP
Candidates should have a strong record of support for women's rights in a broad sense, a commitment to women's rights at The University of Iowa, and one or more of the following related to women's rights:
- Particular contributions to The University of Iowa
- Long-standing record of leadership, effort, and activism.
- Accomplishments with national scope or impact
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship
Application Deadline: March 12, 2021
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship recognizes qualified women applicants who demonstrate financial need and are committed to gender equity/issues impacting women, diversity, and social activism.
Two awards are available. Awards generally range from $1000 to $2000 per academic year to be applied toward tuition, fees, living expenses, or books. The scholarship is for the 2021-22 academic year.
The Margaret P. Benson Memorial Scholarship is administered and selected by individuals affiliated with the Women’s Resource and Action Center at the University of Iowa. The Center’s mission is to create greater equity for individuals and communities of all identities, with a particular focus on women.
Women students (domestic or international) in any field of study who have completed one year (or more) of undergraduate or graduate/professional study at the University of Iowa or at an accredited degree granting institution or program and have been accepted into a degree-granting program at the University of Iowa for the upcoming academic year.
1. Scholarships are awarded for one academic year only. Re-application is required for each academic year for which financial assistance is sought. No preference will be given to those individuals seeking a second or third year of support.
2. If a scholarship recipient does not attend school or drops out while the award is in effect, funds must be returned commensurate with the amount of the academic year remaining.
1. Complete and submit the application form.
2. Submit college transcript(s). (official or unofficial)
3. Submit 1 letters of reference.
4. Demonstrate financial need on the FAFSA for the current academic year by submitting a copy of the financial aid award letter AND/OR provide a ONE-page description of any personal or financial circumstances warranting consideration by the selection committee
5. NOTE: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all materials (including transcripts and letters of reference) are received at WRAC by the application deadline.
Submit Application to: